Saturday, December 30, 2017

Keep the faith

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.  Although I was sick I did manage to make it to my daughter's house Christmas Eve and spent it with my favorite two-year old!  She had a great time.  She played elf and passed out all the gifts.  She was trying to distinguish the difference in the two Mikes.  (My son-in-law and my brother)  She finally came up with her own method.........son-in-law was "that" Mike and my brother was "old Mike".  It was funny how she came up with that on her own.

I finish my steroids tomorrow.  I finished the antibiotic Friday.   I am still wheezing and coughing so we will be seeing the doctor on the 4th or 8th.  I am anxious to see what comes next.  I guess the bronchoscopy and maybe the lung washing.  I'm just ready to get to the bottom of the problem whatever it is.

My older brother has not spoken to me in about a year.  I just gave up.  I haven't tried to contact him either but I sent a Christmas card.  I guess that was sort of an olive branch although I never did anything to deserve the way he has acted toward me.  I'm too afraid to make much of an effort because I have no idea how he or his wife would react.  I'll just focus my energy on taking care of Mike.

The other night Ron was talking to me about what he would do if something happened to me.  He said he would probably move to the condo with Mike and take care of him.  If possible he'd sell the one bedroom and get a two bedroom.  He would take care of him until Mike went to a nursing home. That's the first time he's ever said anything like that but it definitely would be cheaper to keep just one residence.
Ron's income would drop significantly without my retirement.  I don't know if he was telling me that so that I might stop worrying about what happens to Mike if I'm not here but it was a very selfless thing to consider.

It is almost the New Year and I wish I felt more hopeful for the country.  I've been donating to any congressional campaign running against the current congress.  Especially the democrat running against Paul Ryan.  I'm hoping to get back to the democratic headquarters here to continue volunteering.  They have been closed during the holidays and of course I was sick.

I'd also love to attend the Women's march January 20th but I know I can't be out in the cold air.  Speaking of cold air.....we are in the single digits right now.  We got the arctic blast from the North.  I don't know how they handle this cold all the time.  We are lucky right now because the wind has been mild.

Well, here is wishing everyone a healthy, prosperous and happy New Year!

 

6 comments:

Betty said...

Happy New year to you and your family. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Olga said...

2017 was kind of the pits all the way around. Let's hope for improvement in 2018. I really hope you feel better soon and can get back to volunteering for change.

Florence said...

Happy New Year! I do hope you feel better soon and can find out what has been causing all this.
I, too, am estranged from my brother but it was me who did the pulling away. When he realized that there was no $$$ for him in our relationship, he had no interest in me. So be it.
You married a real keeper!! It was so sweet of him to let you know that Mike would be taken care of come what may.
As for the state of the nation, 2018 will be the year I learn how to work in a Senatorial election. I have volunteered to work with Beto O’Rourke to unseat Ted Cruz (and I can think of no one more deserving of being unseated than TC!!) That will be my primary focus. Pray BLOTUS doesn’t start any more wars!!
I hope you have a happy, healthy new year!!

Anonymous said...

Dani - I am so glad you shared with your doctor all the stress you are taking on. I hope you find out what is happening with your health and that it is an easy and effortless fix. I too find that the Don John (love that term BLOTUS)can bring me down with his 5 lies a day. I just hope he doesn't bomb North Korea during the Olympics. Will keep you in my prayers, both your health and your happiness - blessings in this new year - plynjyn

Deb said...

Hi Dani,

Your plate is fuller than most and some days it can get a bit overwhelming. It was good of Ron to tell you he's been thinking of how to care for Mike if he's left alone with him. What a wonderful caring man!
Your own health problems are worrying. The "Okay" state is my family's home state and the hundreds of thousands of sour gas flairs from wellheads and fracking is a problem for air quality. We have the same problem here in Alberta. If you are into the old remedies our Native grannies used mullein leaves made into a tea are a wonderful remedy for lung complaints of all kinds.
Our youngest was in the hospital more than he was at home his 1st year due to repeated bouts of bronchitis and pneumonia. When he was 14 months old we visited a friend in the mountains who dug mullein leaves out from beneath five feet of snow, brewed up a tea and gave it to him in his bottle. He'd been so congested he'd had to sleep sprawled on my chest most of his life, with me sitting in the rocker all night. He drank the tea, stopped wheezing and went to sleep. He's never had had another attack of bronchitis or pneumonia and he'll be 45 in May.
I share your pain over the state of the US government. Hopefully the Trump administration will soon implode under the freight of its own deceit and immorality. We may not be able to march but campaigns still need people to make phone calls, stuff envelopes, and do all kinds of less strenuous organizational work.
Above all, don't lose heart. <3 As they say in the opera, "Courago!" It's a word we use often around here. :D
Many hugs and best wishes from Calgary,
Deb



oklhdan said...

Deb, I have been studying about essential oils and oregano oil is supposed to be good also for respiratory problems. I'll sure look into
mullein leaves. I've never heard of them. I'm ready to try anything and everything! Thanks for suggesting!